Sunday, September 5, 2010

Better than a Hallelujah...





Today is Father's Day. A day that families spend together, eat food, celebrate being alive and what it means to be a family. In my family, while it might not be the most 'comfortable' experience, when you are not around to celebrate with your loved ones, you realise how much more you appreciate and cherish the moments that you do have.

One reality in my life that I have to face right now is the joy of having twins, but the realisation that this makes it more of a challenge to spend time with my extended family. My mum and dad, and Spilsbury side of the family still have enough leeway to travel and come visit us, but my brother Peter and Rhi and my niece Lily are more restricted in time and budget. My Aunty is having her first baby in November who I am not sure when I will be able to meet, and the same goes for my relatives and how and when they will be able to meet our babies after they are born. Luke's grandparents too have only met Isabelle once and it breaks my heart knowing that the people in my life who I care about the most are able to spend the least time with us.

So, after my more recent trip to Adelaide, and one night of praying and deep pondering ;) I remembered to listen to this song, one of my new favourites, Better than a Hallelujah, by Amy Grant. That even though a little part of my heart lives elsewhere, back in Adelaide, and back with family members wherever they are, my cries and prayers are precious to God, as small as they may seem to other people. And I especially asked God to abundantly bless the family I see everyday, my husband and babies, and to help me appreciate the blessings I can see right in front of me, rather than look back to what I am missing out on. I am still sad about these things and I think I always will be, but I am hoping and praying and trusting that God knows the very best for us, and that his love endures through all these things. His plans are ALWAYS for our good, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13 (TNIV)

So to the father of my babies who I see everyday, and I know who is such a rock for me, Happy 2nd Father's Day! Sometimes I am unsure whether you realise how grateful we are for all that you do for us, because life sometimes seems so ordinary and the same, but you are wonderful and we are blessed to have you as a husband and daddy :) Thank you. All our love, Anna, Isabelle and the twins xoxo

Better than a Hallelujah
Amy Grant

God loves a lullaby
In a mothers tears in the dead of night
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.
God loves a drunkards cry,
The soldiers plea not to let him die
Better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

The woman holding on for life,
The dying man giving up the fight
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes
The tears of shame for what's been done,
The silence when the words won't come
Are better than a Hallelujah sometimes.

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

Better than a church bell ringing,
Better than a choir singing out,singing out.

We pour out our miseries
God just hears a melody
Beautiful the mess we are
The honest cries of breaking hearts
Are better than a Hallelujah

1 comment:

  1. In all things God works for the good of those who love him. And I believe that this distance between us all is for just a season :) Your blogs are so refreshing and always turn my eyes heaven ward. Roelof and I love you guys so much and thank God that He chose for you both to be our family. Love You

    ReplyDelete